Wednesday, November 9, 2011

BE THE DIFFERENCE!

After receiving a prayer request for a young, 13 year old, Pop Warner Football player, Donnovan Hill, who fractured his spine last Sunday in the Orange Bowl Championship game, I felt like I needed to do something. I have a little talent...not something most people would consider anything special, but it has served me well in a number of situations. I often refer to myself as the research queen. I can hunt down information, find email addresses, names, companies, whatever it may be...I'm persistent. I decided that this family needed some hope, guidance, and direction in the days, weeks, and months ahead. I can't begin to imagine, nor would I want to, what this family and boy will be having to deal with. BUT...I wanted to do something.

I had five boys play Pop Warner Football and thank the Lord, nothing serious ever happened. But it touched my heart & I started looking for help. I came across an amazing, incredible man, Eddie Canales & his son, Chris, who started the non-profit organization, Gridiron Heroes, after Chris was paralyzed in the last game of his high school season. They had nowhere to turn. There wasn't any help out there. Most people wanted to sweep the 'ugly side' of contact sports under the rug. So instead of sitting in their sorrow, they decided to make a difference. Eddie Canales & his son, Chris have made such an incredible impact on the lives of so many athletes seriously injured in sports. Eddie is one of CNN's Top 10 Hero's & is up for the CNN HERO OF THE YEAR AWARD (PLEASE VOTE FOR HIM HERE-he'll win money for his charity!) He also was featured on HBO, the Today Show & several news feature stories such as MYFOX Houston.

I sent an email to Eddie & that very same day he called me back. He wants to help this family. He's lived it. He is someone who can make a difference in this young boys life. He didn't hesitate...he stepped forward and offered his assistance, all the way from Texas. He has now been in touch with the Pop Warner Organization & will be contacting the family as well.

I'm not sharing this with you for a pat on the back or an 'atta girl.' It's to remind each of you, when you have an ability, no matter how small or insignificant it may be...please, take a step out of your comfort zone and do whatever you can to help someone in need. You never know the difference one small act can make in someone's life. BE THE DIFFERENCE!

*If you'd like to help Donnovan Hill & his family, send Donations to:

Orange Empire Conference
c/o Donnovan Hill
PO Box 7652
Huntington Beach, CA 92615


Please keep him & his family in your prayers!

2 comments:

bravegrrl said...

that is an amazing story.... you are amazing :) people can make a difference and we need to hear it to be inspired!

Lucy said...

You do have talent in finding information. Makes you wonder why things like that happen. I see plays in the football games that just make me shudder.