Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11-Where Were You on that Tragic Day?

Most people remember exactly where they were and what they were doing on that tragic morning of 9/11/2001. The day our world changed forever. 

I was awakened by a frantic phone call from my friend Debbie, "Lis, turn on your T.V., we're being attacked." 

A little groggy, I said, "What are you talking about?"

"A plane crashed into one of the Twin Towers!" she said, "They think it was intentional."

As I turned on my T.V., confident that she was mistaken & it was just a terrible accident, another plane hit the second Tower. I sat there in disbelief, "This is America, this doesn't happen here," this thought running through my mind. I continued to listen while getting ready for a doctor's appointment for my son, Josh. He had a dislocated elbow...skateboarding injury, which happened while vacationing in Utah & needed to be checked once we got back home. I ran back into the bedroom as the announcer's said in horror & disbelief, "People are jumping."  Then the Tower's crumbled. I drove to the appointment in a daze. Wondering what was happening...it was unbelievable. We reached the appointment, the staff was watching it all unfold on a small portable T.V. I stood by them & watched. There were no words to describe how everyone was feeling...just silence.
Looking back, 10 years later, the memory brings to mind not only shock, disbelief, horror, & sorrow for all those who lost their lives, but also the memory of the Love, Unity, Strength & Compassion from the people of the United States. We drew closer, as ONE NATION UNDER GOD, reaching out & giving to strangers as if they were family. It pulled us together, showing us that Love truly conquers ALL.
The devastation and lives lost will always be remembered. The incredible acts of bravery, giving, sharing and sacrificing for others in need will also remain etched in my mind, as the day our Great Nation overcame the unthinkable and grew stronger through Love! 
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

 

No comments: