Friday, December 5, 2008

I'm Naive

I had to take Elijah to the doctor's yesterday because an ugly mole on his foot came back pre-cancerous. The dermatologist wanted a plastic surgeon to cut out the area around the top of his foot where the mole was because it will leave less scarring.

We went in and I just assumed that she would take care of it right then and there. She took a look at it and asked, "What day would you like to have the surgery on? It will have to be early in the morning because he will be put to sleep." I just kind of sat there for a minute, feeling a little stupid for thinking that she was going to do it in her office and we'd be on our merry way. Then I got a little stressed, I hate when the kids have to be put under. You think, "Oh it's just a basic surgery, but what if something goes wrong." Then I stopped myself from going to that crazy place in my head.

He will have the surgery on December 16 at 7:00 am. Then the poor kid has to be completely off of his foot for 2 WEEKS! There goes his snowboarding on our Utah vacation. Poor kid will be sitting around the house with his foot elevated. He felt bad that he wont be able to beat up his little cousins...they are a rowdy little crew and love Elijah's rough housing. I guess everyone will have to suffer...at least they will be together. I told him he should be happy he isn't going to be at home because all of his friends would be calling him to do stuff over the winter break and he wouldn't be able to (see, mom's always try to look at the bright side to keep our little monsters happy...LOL).

So my quick little office visit turned into a full pre-op visit...yep...I'm Naive!!

1 comment:

April said...

Oh that's sad! Right before the big vacation. Well, he should be entertained enough up here to not have to think about it too much! I can't wait to see you guys!
Love you!