Monday, December 22, 2008

The Little Drummer Boy

Preparing for the holiday season can be overwhelming. Please stop and take a moment to reflect on the true meaning of this amazing day.

Pondering the words of my favorite Christmas song, I realized how each one of us has a "drum" to play:


The Little Drummer
Boy
Composed by Katherine K. Davis, Henry Onorati & Harry Simeone in 1958.

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.

We often feel as though we haven't any gifts to give our Savior. Struggling through our everyday lives to live in a way that would honor him. We are often poor, broken, and hurting, without anything fit for our King. The Lord asks us to, come as we are.

He has bestowed upon us gifts and talents. He only asks us to use them to be a blessing to others. Prayer warrior, comforter, musician, motivator, encourager, writer, pastor...we each have a "drum."
Step forward and use it to honor him.

This Christmas and throughout the year, remember to play your "drum" for him. Play your best for him, as he smiles down upon us with unselfish love and forgiveness.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16

Watch part of The Little Drummer Video

Faith Hill's Version of Little Drummer Boy

David Bowie & Bing Crosby's Version of Little Drummer Boy

Which Version do you like?

Have a very Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

~Trish~ said...

Hmmm not sure which version I like better. I like Faith but she gets a little annoying after a while LOL Hope you and yours have a fantastic holiday!!

WheresMyAngels said...

David and Bing for sure! I still remember watching the video on MTV in the 80's.

Merry Christmas, may your life be blessed!