Saturday, January 16, 2010

Off to LA Today


K, the pics have nothing to do with the story...they're from Christmas Eve, but I finally was able to download them & was anxious to put them up!

Jullien, Elijah & Me (2 of my Boys...missing Josh)

Today I had to drop Jullien off in LA at Alvera St. for a photo shoot. I heard that there was going to be an awesome photography show in Santa Monica so I thought, "PERFECT...I'll go to that and wait till he's done so I don't have to go all the way home & then try to get back in traffic."

I loved the show (PHOTO LA 2010- CLICK HERE)...it gave me so many ideas, not just regarding my photos but also matting & framing. One of my favorite exhibits was the first one I saw when I walked in titled "Created Equal" by Mark Laita. It was a portrayal of people at the opposite ends of the spectrum or similar (i.e. An African American Christian woman & a white supremicist tattooed male prisoner; a fur trapper & a lady wearing fur, vegetarian & a butcher, a dancer & a boxer). It really made you think. We are all created equal...the difference is life choices. It was VERY COOL...I loved the whole concept behind it.

Then I went down to Santa Monica pier & snapped some cool random pics and hung out till Jullien was done. I grabbed something to eat, sat on a bench overlooking the ocean & some fisherman who were directly below me fishing off the bottom area of the pier. A man sat near by playing the guitar and singing a mixture of jazz & 60's music. I leaned back and thought, "This is exactly what I need. I'm always running & racing around with sports, practices, meetings, and work, it felt so good to have no one needing me for a while."

I looked down to see the large crab that the fisherman had caught scrambling around in the metal wash basin. Kids ran over to peak excitedly inside, as the man told them, "Don't touch him...he'll pinch you." Once the kids left, I had to laugh because every time he turned around to fish, a group of pigeons would swarm the basin, trying to get some easy lunch. He was twisting and turning every few minutes to flail his arms at them...it looked pretty funny.

I need to take the family there, they've never been...I wish our pier was like that!

Anyways, Jullien was happy to work with the photographer, Mark Humphrey, (Humphrey Creative), he said he's a really cool guy and easy to work with. He actually did a viral video for the same photographer back in New York...it'll be coming out soon. The designer & photographer really liked him & so they came back to LA to shoot him. Check out the Photographer's work...(He's done a lot of the Budweiser commercials) CLICK HERE.

After he was done, I picked him up and we went down and walked around Melrose & did some shopping. He was getting mad at me because I was taking too long...typical boy. He was supposed to go to a party with his girlfriend and was trying to rush me.

I actually hate to shop too, but I love this Vintage store on Melrose called, "CROSSROADS TRADING CO - Click Here." I bought some cute tops for $8.00 & a black Armani jacket for $12.00! I'm the bargain shopping queen, I love finding cute, funky clothes for cheap. Besides, I can't feel guilty about shopping for myself at those prices.

We left Melrose so late that I thought we'd miss all the traffic, but even at 7:00 p.m. we still sat in it! I could never work somewhere that I had to commute, what a nightmare!

I have to say that it was a really fun day...I always love doing different things. Not to mention getting to spend some time with my son while he's here (heading back to New York the end of this month). I'm definitely not one of those mom's who wants her kids to move out once they graduate. I wish they could live with me forever...I miss not having them all at home. It gets too quiet!

Today's Tip: All mom's should take a couple of days a month to do something for themselves!

3 comments:

April said...

Cute boys! And cute pics! I'm glad you got to spend some one-on-one time with Jullien...and some time for yourself!

StacyB said...

Always the bargain shopper! My nephews are gorgeous, and I'm glad you had a great day. P.S. When it gets too quiet at your house, you can have mine...the three that are left, and you'll never have a dull moment!

Katinka said...

Stopping by from SITS and wishing you a Happy Wendesday!!!! :)