Sunday, March 28, 2010

Random Stranger Conversation

I always found it strange how everyone would always come up and talk to my mom & older sister Stacy. Anytime we went anywhere, people would just start talking to them like they've known them for years. I would sit there in amazement. Afterwords I would ask them, "What's up with that...no one ever just comes up and talks to me?

I guess it kind of bugged me.

Do I look mean, snobby, unapproachable? I just didn't get it.

I've never been one to strike up a conversation first, but once someone talks to me, I'm fine & can go on & on with the best of them.

Imagine my surprise when TWO yep TWO random strangers sat by me at my sons track meet in Laguna Hills this weekend and started talking to me.

They were interesting. They were full of information, very open, telling me about their kids, their experiences coaching baseball (which I was able to have an in depth conversation about because my husband & I both coached our kids in baseball together) and coaching a Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Nebraska in the 70's. Which I found fascinating (I'm a football fanatic!)

I have to tell you that I really enjoyed the random conversations.

So I tried to figure out what made me more approachable that day?

Was it the funky, trendy plaid hat I wore. Did I look like someone who would be fun to talk to?

I don't really know, all I do know is...people are interesting. Maybe I should try to step outside of my comfort zone & talk to people first.

So my question to all of you is...

~Do people approach you and strike up conversations?
~What's the most interesting story a stranger has ever told you?

Can't wait to hear!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

People don't usually approach me and talk to me. I spend a lot of time thinking about things and generally because of that, I've been told I have a little furrow in my brow so I look mad. I've done this since I was a tiny toddler...we even have pictures of me to show. Once in awhile, someone will randomly talk to me...it's fun. I've actually started initiating random conversations with people lately. It's amazing how many people actually respond. Once in awhile I will get a weird look but generally people really just want to talk.

StacyB said...

Hmmm...well lets see...there are many! LOL My favorite though is Faith (next door to Gram's house in Grass Valley) but I did the approaching that time, and she was kind enough to invite me in. Faith has a lifetime of wonderful stories and is now a dear friend. I call her frequently to check on her and chat. I'm always left with a good feeling. I really enjoyed her story of finding enough gold underneath a house that burned down to rebuild it!
So ~ may you have many more interesting and inspirational conversations with strangers! ;)

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Hi Lisa...

I guess I could really write a book on this... hehehe!
It's my fav. topic! I grew up watching my dad talk to EVERYONE and their dog.. and I was relatively shy as a kid... I kind of bloomed in high school... but I think in my 20s/30s until now.. I have had the habit of talking to EVERYONE...
Here in France (esp. in Paris) it's not the "habit" to talk to strangers... But, I still do it, day in and day out.. and I've had more interesting encounters and conversations as a result...
People talk to me.. or smile/say hello.. but I initiate more than others do.. I don't mind.. I love interacting with others around me.
I think if you talk to people first, they are generally pretty friendly.. Try it sometime and let me know..
Take care,
Leesa