Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Blues

Do you ever feel a little let down after Christmas? I often feel the Christmas blues. I mean, we spend a whole month getting ready for Christmas, planning, rushing around, shopping, taking pictures, getting Christmas cards mailed out. And them BAM...it's over, just like that! One quick morning of ripping packages open, then sitting back and saying, "Wow, all that time preparing and it's over in 20 minutes (my family is fast present openers!)

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and the meaning behind it, but I wish the day would somehow last longer. I wish we had a remote control that you could put on slow motion and spend the whole day opening presents, hit the pause button, and enjoy the look on everyone's faces as they receive the gift they've been hoping for. Then hit slow motion again and let it go on the entire day. Imagine...a whole day of non-stop joy and excitement.

My husbands family celebrates Chrismas Eve (his mom's Costa Rican & his dads Italian) its their Latin tradition. This makes it last a little longer. We went to my sister-in-laws house and ate Costa Rican & Mexican tamales and opened presents. I'll post some pictures later...there's always tons of family members there, it's crazy! We stayed pretty late & then had to come home & finish wrapping our presents, we were up till 2:00 am.

Now that the kids are older I thought they would let us sleep in a little bit. Nope...6:00 a.m., they were pounding on the door to get up to open presents, (4 hrs. of sleep may have contributed to the Christmas blues.) After 20 minutes, my step kids left to go to their moms house to open more presents. That quick...done...as I headed upstairs to go back to sleep for a little bit, I thought, "Another Christmas over...where have the years gone?"

2 comments:

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Merry Christmas and all the very best for you and your family. Your blogs are just excellent and with your permission I would like to include them to my 'Blog List'. Please visit my traveling blog which is in Greek and in English.Here

Unknown said...

It's so true. Every year I get hit with the blues...usually the afternoon of Christmas day actually. This was the first year I didn't. I don't know what the difference was, but I just had no expectations this year so there was no disappointment. We stayed home and didn't run around trying to visit everyone either. It was quiet...and nice and there was no "let down". I hope New Years works out the same.