Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Taking The Step

I finally decided on Sunday to take my first little baby steps, took a few deep breathes, put the pen to the paper, stopped, thought about it again, then I did it! After I wrote it down I turned to my husband and held it up for him to read. He smiled, held his hand up to give me a high five, luckily they were singing so it didn't look too weird. I was still a little leery about what I had just done...but his reaction made me feel better.

It all started after I went to an art showing for one of the investors at my work. He is also friends with the owner's so he comes in quite a bit. He has been doing photography for a while (he is retired, has tons of money and time.) Every time he comes in I pick his brain...I don't have the money or time to take a class so I just bug anybody who has any knowledge!LOL!

He had his photography pictures on display at an art show and me and my boss Marsha went to check it out. It was amazing the way he "painted" the pictures to look like a real painting. I just walked around and got tons of ideas. We talked to him and he said most of the pictures that everyone liked were the one's that he just "winged" it. He said he had no idea what he was doing...he just did it! This really inspired me...I never have any idea what I'm doing either!LOL!

Every Sunday in the announcements they keep asking for photographers, and videographers to volunteer because they need help. Every week I think, "I could do that, I have a pretty good eye, a good camera and I love doing it." Then that old familiar voice, "What are you talking about? You don't know what you're doing...you never took any classes...you'll mess up on something really important and look like an idiot...you can't do that!" That is basically the conversation that goes on in my head, not only in regards to photography, but writing too. The end result is always the same...I do NOTHING!

After the art showing and reading that Ansel Adams never took a photography class...I was truly inspired...I did it!! I wrote my name on that card and put, "I am interested in volunteering as a photographer." Then after church as we were leaving, the Pastor stopped to talk to us and I told him, "If you still need help with photographer's, I can do it." Then I began to explain that I didn't have any training...blah blah blah...went through the whole knocking myself down thing! Why do I do that?! Well we'll see if they actually call, the important thing was I took the first steps to pursue an interest. Next I'll just have to retrain my mouth to stop blabbing about how inadequate and untrained I am!

But back to the positive...I TOOK THE STEP!!WooHoo!!





10 comments:

Unknown said...

good for you lis! funny i was thinking just today that photography would be something i would like to look into and learn more about and maybe do someday. i know photographers that specialize in babies in utah that make 350 just for the sitting fee. ridiculous. i hope they call you back.

April said...

Good job Lis! You'll do great! That's how Tyler's sister got started. She just did it as a hobby and never took any classes. Now she's overbooked to take people's pictures! Good luck!

Lisa Petrarca said...

Thanks guys! That would be awesome to earn a living doing something you love!

~Trish~ said...

I am so proud!!! I have a great friend who does photography on the side. In fact he just completed a huge project last week. Every day for one solid year he got up and took photographs of the sunrise...every single day! He's going to try to publish a book about it too. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Amie Steele said...

Yay Lisa!!:) There is soooo much info on the web pertaining to photography, you've definatly got the eye for it, you'll do fabulous! Feel free to email me with any ?'s! ~ Amie

Mandy said...

Good for you!! Baby steps!! And if you took those pictures in this post, then I think you are well on your way!

trash said...

Well done you, taking that first step is always the hardest. If you don't tell anyone you aren't formally trained/proficient/experienced but you CAN do what they need here then you are the right person for the job - here in the UK it is called 'blagging'.

Take the leap of faith and find yourself flying.

Thanks for stopping by today. It is great to be a part of SITS :)

MaricrisG said...

wow for someone who doesn't have training, your pictures are goood! Congrats on taking the 1st step. It's always the start of something great. Wish you the best sitstah!

Maricris

Kathi Roach said...

Great pictures. I've just spent the past few minutes at your blog. You seem like you have a really neat family. Loved your workout story at football practice. That trainer sounds like she's a tough one.
I spend 4 nights a week at football practice too, I can totally relate.

Robin said...

Good for you girl! I've always noticed that you have a good eye, especially for capturing motion. Awesome!!

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10