Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Happy Birthday John-We Miss You!


Today would've been my brother John's birthday. It's hard to believe that it's been 19 years since his passing. No matter how much time has past, we still celebrate the joy, laughter & love my brother brought to our family.

John, Stacy & Me

My brother John (October 5, 1968-July 5, 1991) & baby brother Bryan

My mom said, "I can't imagine what he would look like now."

I can imagine him a little chubbier around the middle, but still working out to keep the muscles he loved to show off. His hair would be graying and thinning, there would be deep wrinkles around his eyes from so many years of laughing & causing laughter. His forehead would have lines that years of worrying and caring for others tends to leave. But I know his laughter would be as loud as ever...I can still hear it to this day.

Time would have aged him as it does all of us, but his joy of life & love of family and always his, "live life on the edge" attitude would be stronger than ever. I'm sure he would be out on a bike with his son Johnny, telling him, "Try to keep up with your old man!" He would have spent every day looking for his daughter Whitley & once he found her, he would have done everything he could to make sure she was laughing, happy, having fun & knew how much he loved her.

He may be gone from our sight, but I know he is smiling down from above, waiting patiently for the day we all can be together again. For what may seem like a long time to us, is just a blink of an eye in heaven.

I Love You John...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

On the day of John's funeral, there was a double rainbow.
Whenever I see one to this day I know my brother is watching over us from above.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, You might not be with us in person my brother but i feel your spirit around me. It was such a pleasure growing up with you and knowning you. I love you my brother. God Bless you and you will never be forgotten. Abboud

StacyB said...

Beautifully said, Lis. Happy Birthday to our brother.

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Awwww... Lis...

This is very touching to me... I really miss my mom around fall season and now even more and more-- as you know, she passed away in Nov. '05-- I think that some dates in particular - b-days and holiday time remind us so much of our loved ones...
I'm sending you a very big hug now...
and a Happy Birthday to your beloved John...

Love,
Leese

MedaM said...

Hello Lisa, this is very touching post that really made me sad and inevitably brought painful memories. It is so sad that you lost your brother. He was only 23 years old. I am so sorry. I completely understand your feelings as well as the feelings of your family, especially your mother. Sorrow remains and we only learn to live with it. Your brother was only 23 years old when he passed 19 years ago and my brother was only 33 years old when he was killed 18 years ago in the last war in my country in December 1992. I too believe that one day we’ll be together with our loved ones.
Hug,
Meda

Sundie said...

What a great entry! I am so grateful for the short time I knew him and for the wonderful legacy he has left and his darling children (of course, I'm partial). Tee hee. . . I can't wait to see him again, but he's not far that's for sure! XOXO, Sundie

Unknown said...

It's been a year already?
Love that picture of the double rainbow. I'm sure that was your brother's gift.
I hope you had a great day.
I love your new blog header!

Phivos Nicolaides said...

A sad story, but still we have no option but to remember with love all our loved relatives passed away. God bless all of us. Hugs

April said...

Thanks for the tribute Lis. I know John is close to all of us, and I can't wait to see him again one day! Love you!

bravegrrl said...

he sounds like a wonderful person... it's great you remember him with such vitality :)

xo

ps i love your new header!

Anonymous said...

Lisi, what a gift you have for putting wonderful memories into words! While driving home from work yesterday, there was a big rainbow in the sky. We haven't had rain for the longest time---and yesterday it not only rained, but our John-o let me know that he was close to me on his special day. I felt so grateful, and so blessed to have had this child for 22 years. Certainly not long enough, but what a great privilege it is to be his mother; as it is to be the mother of each of my six remaining special, wonderful children. My cup runneth over. Mommy

Café Naïveté said...

wow.. It's great that you take this so positively and did this lovely post. I always think that.. it's much harder for us, who are left behind that for those who leave us.. But if one day I'll leave my dearest then I'd definitely want them to be as positive and happy as you. It's important to move on and be serene.. cause that's exactly what they would want us to do.

Merilin
x

Lucy said...

Some people think I am crazy but I try, health permitting , to take flowers and balloons that say Happy Birthday, on my sons birthday. He was 42 and will be gone 11 years in Dec. but I miss him so much. He is always with me in my mind. I love your header.

Lisa Petrarca said...

Thank you all for your kind, thoughtful & emotional posts. It really meant a lot to me!